SIUP is an organization created by a group of seven ET/WOC nurses that are involved daily with ostomates with the aim of “gaining correct recognition of stoma (colostomy/ ileostomy/ urostomy) by the public/ family/ medical workers.”
We are involved in stoma care of ostomates during and after the surgery and in outpatient services. Through our communication with the ostomates, we hear many stories such as receiving complaints for using the “wheelchair restrooms” or being denied by elderly facilities because of the stoma. There are a lot of problems in the society we are not able to solve only on our own.
Therefore, to solve the problem, we thought it was necessary to actively inform the public about stoma and came up with this project.
Currently, we are a group of only seven members and there is a limit to what we can do, but in the future, we expect more members to join to work together with us to create a society where there is no barrier for the stoma users.
- We have created an English version of our website.
We will disseminate information that can be used by as many people as possible.
- Released the factual survey on problems stoma users experience 2020 “What I want you to know about living with a stoma”
- We received the 9th Sugiura Medical Award.
→ See here for more details
- The article supervised by SIUP “Basics for attending and caring for dementia patients with stoma” released.
- Announcing factory visit and hot spring tour exclusively for ostomates.
Let’s Travel! Onsen!
Let’s challenge together with fellow travelers!
- 2nd SIUP Forum ended in a success with 92 participants.
Thank you for your participation and support.
- We are closing SIUP official Twitter account at the end of February and moving on to Facebook.
Twitter followers please follow our Facebook page too.